View Single Post
Old 03-02-2011, 10:54 PM   #105 (permalink)
fjasper
Bookworm

Sylvio 2 - '04 Audi allroad quattro Biturbo 6-spd
90 day: 25.09 mpg (US)

Atlas - '04 Audi allroad 2.7T 6MT
90 day: 25.09 mpg (US)
I finally understand why the "blind spot" exists. It's in the regulation. Never thought of that. They could widen out the required field of view, and every company selling cars in the affected jurisdiction would have to come up with a solution. Some of them would probably be very clever and effective.

I think they should include the mirrors in the drag calculus, because the object of the game is awareness of objects behind and alongside the vehicle, not square inches of glass or number of pixels, or whatever someone might come up with.

Rearview cameras are already cheaper than side mirrors, probably easier to defrost, safer, more aerodynamic, compatible with thermal imaging (which is where night vision augmentation will go), lighter, and just generally more high-tech.

"More High Tech" is always good for a marketing campaign. Personally I prefer low tech unless high tech provides some actual benefit to the user other than the illusion of progress.

Sorry about the rants (there have been others), I'm a shut-in today because I'm sick, and it's driving me nuts. Fingers crossed, they'll let me out of here tomorrow.