View Single Post
Old 03-03-2011, 11:03 AM   #44 (permalink)
oldbeaver
EcoModding Apprentice

Mercedes 89 D - '89 Mercedes 300 E
90 day: 33.86 mpg (US)

Skodie - '09 Skoda Octavia TDI PD
90 day: 38.84 mpg (US)

1993 Mercedes 300D Turbo - '93 Mercedes Benz 300D Turbo W124
90 day: 26.19 mpg (US)

Crossie - '16 Subaru XV Crosstreak
90 day: 9.61 mpg (US)

Crossie - '16 Subaru XV Crosstreak
90 day: 33.34 mpg (US)
Real world yield of a HOH system

Dear byte312: You better work on the electric car.

I constructed two HOH systems myself. The first followed the plans sold in the Internet. It consumed 30 A and produced lot of bubles . However, rpm of the car slowed down noticeable when connected. This means it took more energy from the car (through the battery) than the energy it added as HOH gas combustion.
The engine was a Nissan aspirated diesel of 1996.
Additional problems: the system warmed up a lot, then the current consumption overflow the ammeter capacity. The stainless steel used here corroded after three loads of NAOH solution.
It was impossible to run a complete tank of diesel as water evaporated.

Then I decided to construct a second system, following instructions of an engineer from the Internet. Then I used a special, very hard, very heavy, very expensive stainless steel.
Making holes broke my tools ten times here.

It consisted on ten cells working with 1.28 Volts each.

After assembling and installed in the car, this system produced about five times more HOH gas, and used only half the electricity from the battery. So it was 10 times more efficient than previous system.
However, even though, when connected the engine slowed down, so there was a negative gain of energy too. If it was producing more bang the engine would have accelerated.
Additional problems:
Water didnnīt evaporate so quickly, but production of gas was so much that I had to attach a 12V pump to blow solution to the bubbler. Otherwise, gas becomes to push down the gas in the electrolysis device.
I wanted to sell this device to a truck transport company, but as it didnīt increase power, it wouldnīt increase fuel miling too.
It was impossible to complete a full tank with this system too, not because evaporation or consumption of water, but for foam formation, due to the pumping.

I have pictures of it. I have the system in my garage.

Conclusion: This do not work as claimed by sellers. At all.

Oldbeaver

Last edited by oldbeaver; 03-03-2011 at 11:05 AM.. Reason: improve