View Single Post
Old 03-04-2011, 01:04 AM   #496 (permalink)
vpoppv
The $500 Electric Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
If you mean scrounging veggie oil, it will only work if a tiny segment of us do it. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for it, but there is not enough waste oil out there for it to become mainstream. I too have a lot of consuming behaviors that are totally awesome and work well for me, but I know that the entire economy would implode if what I do were to be widely adopted.

What will help the country long term is for the consumer to be efficient in their use of resources, and for the population to be at a point where it is not putting undue pressure on resources.
You're absolutely right. I worded that very poorly. I meant that the sort of thinking you are talking about is what will benefit us most, not the actual use of a little veggie oil. It would be nice if it could put a dent in the 22 million barrels of oil we consume every day, but certainly not within the realm of possibility. What is important is to act TODAY in whatever way we can to make a difference.
I've been interested in building an electric car since high school , but the EV crowd's mantra of "you have to spend $20,000 to convert a car" always kept me away. And for someone to tell me that the car I converted is a black eye to the EV community because of some image we need to uphold is exactly the kind of BS that will keep gas guzzlers king in this country. If I wasn't so naive and believed other people's crap I could have been driving an electric car for the last 20 years.