View Single Post
Old 03-04-2011, 01:24 AM   #102 (permalink)
nimblemotors
EcoModding Jack

There is nothing "improper" about this fuel tank, in fact I believe it is superior, in its location and its support. I take safety seriously, and that is why this tank is where it is, in the strongest part of the chassis and the most protected location. The fuel sloshing isn't really bad for such a small tank,
I had no foam in my 8-gallon tank in my Falcon no problems at all.
However I do think it may cause the Geo sender to fail as it is a quite weak device, I will probably replace it with a tube type sender, or perhaps something else. I had braided line on my falcon and did not like it, and will not use it again, hard to handle it and it eventually leaked, but you could not find out where because of the braid, but in any case, NHRA rules allow only 6or 12in of it if I recall. I have to run about 4-5ft from tank to engine.
PEX line should last forever, if not in sunlight, which it isn't, and will likely wrap it with aluminum tape, and run it through an alum conduit as well, since I will have the exhaust pipe going through the trans tunnel (which will be heat sheilded as well)
I'd use alum tubing if not for E85. Having trouble finding fittings for small size PEX. I don't know what the PSI is for the Geo, I think the TBI design uses less pressure than port injectors, the PEX is rated at 100psi.

McMasterCarr has Buna-N braided hose, that is good for E85.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#tubing/=ba5urh might get some of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRABill View Post
I know I may take flack for saying this and in please don't take this the wrong way because I like your build. But... there is NO WAY I would ride in a car without a proper fuel tank. A plastic tank is cheap enough and they make tons of odd sizes and shapes from 1 gallon and up the added weight from a properly reinforced tank is VERY minimal. when I say proper I am referring to a Jazz or RCI fuel tank made for racing applications they are cheap besides if you don't put the foam in the tank then your gauge an pickup will be a mess whenever you take a corner with that setup it is also a safety issue keeps gas from reentering the fill tube and electric areas from being splashed.

..:: JAZ PRODUCTS ::..

Racer's Choice Inc.

Things like inertia cut off switch and reinforced fuel lines that won't corrode or dry out over years of abuse are to important to skip. A flapper gasket is overkill but It is necessary on cars I build in my opinion even though not mandated. Slows fuel leakage if car ever flips.

How much Fuel pressure does the little motor need? I am guessing that it will be close to 30 PSI like most any standard Fuel injected motor make sure you purchase Fuel injected lines that can withstand the pressure. Standard non fuel injected lines are good for a month or 2 then POP. I like to use Aluminum in the Past and just flare some fittings but now I prefer to use braided fuel lines with AN fittings for easier and faster hookups.

Summitracing.com or Jegs.com are good places to check for a nice fuel setup