View Single Post
Old 03-10-2011, 03:01 AM   #227 (permalink)
zonker
500 Mile Metro Traveler

'89 Dakota LB - blue - '89 Dodge Dakota V6 LE
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

'17 Fiat 124 - SunFiat - '17 Fiat 124 Spider Classica
90 day: 30.51 mpg (US)

'89 Metro - The Egg - '89 Geo Metro Base
90 day: 50.71 mpg (US)

'94 Alto - The Box - '94 Suzuki Alto Ce-L
90 day: 39.5 mpg (US)
i didn't read all 23 pages, so forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but i have a couple tips for the automatic trans equipped cars out there...

When the car is stationary, as listed on the 100+ tips, shutting off the engine is best, but if you are only stationary for under 10 seconds like a brief traffic signal or stop sign, idling in neutral is a more efficient alternative. Many fuel injected cars will artificially raise the idle speed for about 5 seconds after intial restart to prevent stalling, and that creates an enrichment cycle that will not be offset in less than 10 seconds of turning the motor off.

Also... some automatic transmissions (many fords) allow you to start from a stop in second gear if you place the shifter in "2" instead of D or OD. This was designed by ford as a way to prevent wheelspin in icy conditions, but it can also serve as keeping the rpms down when starting from a dead stop. (Note: not all transmissions when marked for 2nd gear will still give you 2nd gear only from a standstill)