View Single Post
Old 03-10-2011, 05:35 PM   #96 (permalink)
htvfd460
EcoModding Lurker

American - '06 Ford Ranger STX
90 day: 27.05 mpg (US)
With in the response to: "AAA opposes all of those methods, noting that cutting off a car's engine may negatively affect power steering and power brakes; overinflating tires leads to uneven tire wear; and rolling through stop signs and tailgating trucks puts drivers at risk. ". there are reasons that they see and the Ideas of Eco-nomy and concideration to to the Eco-system.
Ignition kill affects many aspects of a vehicls intended use by engineers. First off an engine not spinning creates no vacuum, and if the vehicle has "power breaks" you get one chance to stop with in relative controll. now if the vehicle has abs, than more likely it uses electricity. A battery that is nearly dead will do all sorts of odd things to anything that depends on specific voltage. So if the engine is off and coasting down a hill and a small woodland creature like a moose or even a kid chasing a ball, the chances of avoiding the worst case scenario has dropped drastically.
Powersteering is in many vehicles, though not all. Either Pump driven or Electrically driven pumps or elictrically assisting threw motors are necessary at low speeds for many people. A mazda 3 has an electric pump, ignition off and then no more pump. If its pully driven, each turn still makes the fluid flow. This results in "burping" and can end up on the motor causing risk of fire and can drip into our earth {We all know thats not good}. With electric steering, having the ignition off shuts off the computer or tells the computer that the vehicle as a whole isnt being used for roadly purposes.
Over inflating tires {The one thing that urks me the most out of anything automotive} leads to serious concerning problems. With the Firestone and Ford Explorer thing Ford did a bit with the GOVT. Their response was taken and applied. To reduce the max inflation spec on the tire. The reason is that when you over inflate or underinflate a tire the rolling resistance and frictional response changes. Overinflating still increases tire temperature as much as underinflation. The tire wears unevenly and affects breaking {like adding truck tires to a Ford Fiesta} The brakes have to work harder and burn faster and glaze up {If ya want that result just throw motor oil on the pads, the result will still be the same (I tested that on a Ford focus for a customer)} Tires wearing unevenly leads to costs. how much is a new tire? For example we will go with $40 to $140. Usually they last between 20 and 60 thousand miles. Over and under inflation reduces that to 1/3 that wear milage. so the cost goes up to $120- $520 per tire. from $1 per 500 miles to $1 per 166 miles at the low end. {Miles divided by each tires cost then multiply by 4} At the high end it goes from $1 per 428.571 miles (these seem worht the money at 60k) to $1 per 142.857 miles. {there is an error of less than 1% with my calculations and they are at the extremes for value and wear to show there is a nominal value that isnt lost threw full tank savings. But that can be offset by the price of fuel too, at an extreme} The other part is that the ride becomes stiff and can bounce on a bumpy road resulting in less controll. Whats affects the environment? More resourses are being used up.
I have a feeling there are 2 ideas for economy here. First is financial savings thew owning and opperating a vehicle as a whole. the other is the highest MPG for a tank of fossil fuel.
My side that i choose is Over all opperation and owning and maintaing cost. I see it as a longer term of savings and responsibility to the Eco-Systems that i am affecting that my Daughter gets to inherit.