View Single Post
Old 03-10-2011, 07:37 PM   #99 (permalink)
Frank Lee
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Because the consequences of engine-off coasting operations have been tested and very, very comprehensively discussed. The world will not come to an end because of coasting. We know to expect BRAKES yes BRAKES NOT BREAKS to lose power assist after a while.

We know to expect power steering effort to increase somewhat (very little at speed and not a hazard at all when you are aware of it).

Quote:
A battery that is nearly dead will do all sorts of odd things to anything that depends on specific voltage.
OK where did this come from?

Quote:
This results in "burping" and can end up on the motor causing risk of fire and can drip into our earth
Perhaps a bit melodramatic? Most glides don't involve all that much steering correction I'd wager and thus no burping spills. Most oily motors don't burst into flames.

Quote:
Overinflating still increases tire temperature as much as underinflation.
I'd like to see the explanation and supporting data for that. I don't believe it for a second.

Quote:
The tire wears unevenly and affects breaking {like adding truck tires to a Ford Fiesta} The brakes have to work harder and burn faster and glaze up {If ya want that result just throw motor oil on the pads, the result will still be the same (I tested that on a Ford focus for a customer)}
The brakes have to work harder... hmmm... not.

Quote:
Tires wearing unevenly leads to costs. how much is a new tire? For example we will go with $40 to $140. Usually they last between 20 and 60 thousand miles. Over and under inflation reduces that to 1/3 that wear milage. so the cost goes up to $120- $520 per tire. from $1 per 500 miles to $1 per 166 miles at the low end. {Miles divided by each tires cost then multiply by 4} At the high end it goes from $1 per 428.571 miles (these seem worht the money at 60k) to $1 per 142.857 miles. {there is an error of less than 1% with my calculations and they are at the extremes for value and wear to show there is a nominal value that isnt lost threw full tank savings. But that can be offset by the price of fuel too, at an extreme}
Nobody- and I mean NOBODY- is reporting a 67% decrease in tire life.

Quote:
The other part is that the ride becomes stiff and can bounce on a bumpy road resulting in less controll. Whats affects the environment? More resourses are being used up.
If that happens I'd say one has gone too far with the overinflating, and is also going far too fast.

Bring some good supporting evidence or even logic and we'll listen...