View Single Post
Old 03-12-2011, 07:37 PM   This thread is in the EcoModder Project Library | #1 (permalink)
brucepick
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Belly Pan Build with pics - '97 Civic

I started on it today!
Wifey already knows that's what I'm working on tomorrow (Sunday)!

I really have to thank basjoos (especially!!) and the other folks who've been contributing to the Belly Pan How-To thread. You made it a lot easier to resolve the zillion questions I had.

Basic plan is 4'x4' coroplast from front lip to rear of front wheel cutout. It's split down the middle and will have 24" wide aluminum flashing spliced in (pop rivets, with fender washers on both sides of the join). 2" overlap at each seam gives 68" wide material which is about 4-5" more than the car width. That gives me some room to play while building. Exhaust runs down the middle here so the flashing should be good for that.

So far I've built one seam, the rest of today's work on this project was prep: buying fasteners, jacking car, yada yada.

Second section will be 48"x74" coroplast, also cut with same 24" flashing spliced in under the exhaust. That goes to the front of the rear wheel cutout - basically the rocker panel, which is the 74" dimension. Exhaust takes a jog over to passenger side so it won't be a straight split down the middle.

Rear section is about 44" long. Goes from rear corner of rocker panel to the rear bumper lip. Will be covered by the last piece of 4x4 coroplast, cut/patched with the 24" flashing for the exhaust area and to make up the needed width.

I'm just getting started. Hope to take some pics tomorrow.

Status Update, Mar 19, 2011:

Last edited by brucepick; 03-19-2011 at 10:22 PM.. Reason: Added a bunch of pics and text.