View Single Post
Old 03-19-2011, 12:15 AM   #499 (permalink)
vpoppv
The $500 Electric Car

Yesterday I spent a good deal of time trying to diagnose what caused the electrical burning smell from the other day and I could not figure it out. I took it out for a drive and could not repeat the problem. I am going to go with the theory that I overheated the motor somehow, although why that day, and no other? Same route, mild weather, all normal conditions. To attempt to tackle the problem that may only be in my head, I will be installing the bilge blower to my motor I bought a while back. It puts out a great deal of air and only has an 8 amp draw at 12 volts. It uses some special expensive 3" hose from boat companies, but I stumbled onto a 3" RV hose at Wal-Mart for $7 that fits perfectly. That's tomorrow's project. Today, I took off all the battery connections and cleaned them (they needed it). I rerouted some of the cabling and secured everything a little better while I was at it. I also moved one of the batteries from the front of the car to the back, because the car always seemed just a little "front heavy" to me. Ideally, I would like to find 6 of those Honda Civic batteries (group 51) because they are exactly half of the group 24 size and only weigh 26 pounds. I think I could put all 6 up front and still be doing great on weight. They're supposed to be good for about 40 Ahrs so that should be more than adequate for my needs. I'm a little worried about the longevity of a strickly "starting" battery as opposed to the deep cycle I am using now, but supposedly these marine batteries aren't true deep cycle anyway. I'm also debating buying a DC/DC converter and running a motorcycle battery as the accessory battery to save even more weight.