View Single Post
Old 05-01-2008, 11:35 AM   #17 (permalink)
metroschultz
Master EcoModder

CPT SLO - '93 GEO Metro plainjane
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

SilverHairBeauty - '01 Toyota Avalon XL
90 day: 24.06 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to metroschultz
It may cost 100's in the long run

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUVMY02CREW View Post
....This is when I fill up: in the mornings, same station, I even try to get the same pump if possible, same octane, etc... I try to keep it same to help eliminate any possible variables when filling up.

I also try to top off each tank, all the way up so I can see the gas at the flapper thingy in the filler hole. This way I know I have a FULL tank. I have noticed that even at the slowest notch on the handle, that the remaing amount I can squeeze in can vary from 1 to 2.5 gallons.
So.... I guess my new questions related to fillips are...
1 - Is topping off a good/safe thing to do to keep an accurate record of fuel used?
2 - Are there alternatives to topping off to be accurate?
3 - Would there be be any possible safety/mechanical/other drawbacks to topping off?
4 - Any other questions somebody else might have........?
Topping your tank to the fill flap is BAD.
It is neither good nor safe.
There is a designated expansion space in the upper portion of the tank that you are trying to fill with fuel.
This is why you see a variable from "1 to 2.5 gallons"
Eventually all this extra raw gas ends up in your carbon canister.
You can't just clean them any more like on the old cars.
If your canister becomes too contaminated for the system to self clean it has to be replaced, and on your 02 Crew that would be in the $300 to $400 range.

You say you always use the same pump( or try to anyway)
Pick one ring of the spring around the end and use that spot always,(that spring is there to keep the nozzle from pulling out anyway).
Then when it cuts off by itself you will have a very good fill to the same level every time.
When you use this method you may even see an increase in your MPG.

Do not under any circumstances keep pumping till you can see gas in the neck.
BAD JOOJOO
The raw gas stored in the canister is supposed to go into the intake, but, sometimes during cleaning mode it will go in while you are in the highway and the mix will be heavier than stoichiometric.
some cars will make it as rich as 10/1.The car is trying to use engine vacuum to get rid of that extra gas.
This is extremely wasteful.
The other problem you can run into when "Gas Packing" (the official term for filling into the expansion space).
You fill in the am. Fuel is cool and therefore more dense.(I know it is minor, hang on I'm making a point)
You don't drive very far. You park on an incline, nose up.
In the afternoon sun this extra gas expands.
You come out to your car to see a puddle of raw gas on the ground coming from the neck.
This I have also seen in my days at the local garage.
I hope this helps.
Schultz.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.
Albert Einstein

Last edited by metroschultz; 05-01-2008 at 11:41 AM.. Reason: clarity