Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2008, 10:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
igo
Master EcoModder

Mini Box Truck - '05 Scion Xb
90 day: 32.87 mpg (US)

It FITs - '09 Honda Fit Sport
90 day: 36.2 mpg (US)

Impreza - '13 Subaru Impreza Sport
90 day: 30.92 mpg (US)
I won't start thinking about gas until I am under the 1/4 mark. If I come across a cheap gas station and I am under the 1/4 mark I will typically fill. I like to run my tank low so I carry less weight.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-24-2008, 11:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
I try to buy gas when I'm nearly empty. This way, the margin of error on short-fills is eliminated for a more accurate FE picture.

The exception: before driving holidays (Labor day weekend, 4th of July, etc.) and ozone alert days.

Speaking of Ozone, the more you fill, the more you expose the atmosphere to gasoline vapors, contributing to the problem (even with the vehicle's on-board, and the pump's vapor recovery systems).

RH77

_
_
Old 04-25-2008, 12:57 AM   #13 (permalink)
Liberti

Thunderbird - '96 Ford Thunderbird
90 day: 27.75 mpg (US)
The longer you can go without gas, the wiser it is to fill up at once. Currently, I only buy gas every 3.5 to 4 weeks. Utilizing two 15 gallon Jerry Cans, that could probably safely be brought up to 12 weeks. It's common knowledge that gas degrades over time, but I think it would be fine if kept in an airtight container located in a cool spot. There are probably other cheap/free techniques in stabilizing gas that could be utilized without negating potential savings.

If you can hold out 12 weeks, you can easily get through the summer driving season. The summer driving season is always more expensive than any other season, so there wouldn't be much price guessing. You do have to deal with 30 gallons of highly flammable gas near your house and the risk of losing meager savings due to evaporation/degradation.

Personally, I just buy gas when I'm on empty at the cheapest station along my commute.

- LostCause
Old 04-30-2008, 06:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
Legend in my own mind

Evil Pumpkin - '08 Scion xD RS 1.0 #1633
90 day: 35.45 mpg (US)

Silent Silver Killer - '10 Honda Insight EX
90 day: 51.5 mpg (US)
Once I get my Scanguage I'llplay with this some more, but before I got real serious in trying to improve my MPG's I noticed that switching between gas stations tanked my MPG's, it all stabilized once I selected a particular Gas station, BP in this case because they are Canadian Sourced, but then I noticed a diffference in MPG's depending on time of day fill ups too.

Therefore now I fill up mornings only, from the same station and my MPG's are climbing on those factors alone ... Now as I start applying some techniques I see here I should be well above EPA in no time .. 40mpg here I come ...

I am a precisional instrument of speed and aeromatics
If your knees bent in the opposite direction......what would a chair look like???

Old 05-01-2008, 02:17 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Camryaro - '92 Toyota Camry LE V6
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)

Red - '00 Honda Insight

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius

3 - '18 Tesla Model 3
90 day: 152.47 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
The best time to fill is when it has 1/4 tank or less. Your calculation isn't taking into account all the extra screwing around at gas stations for small fills.
And asses looking for fuller tanks to siphon.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:49 AM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

TANK the fifth - '02 Chevrolet S10 Crew Cab 4x4 LS
90 day: 20.44 mpg (US)
New Questions Related To Fillups

I usually try to wait till 1/2 or less, with erratic fuel gauge I don't want to risk running out. I don't really try to guess when gas may go up/down, cause I'm gonna need it regardless of the price on any particular day.

After dropping off 2 of my kiddos at their schools, I commute to work and still have some time left over. This is when I fill up: in the mornings, same station, I even try to get the same pump if possible, same octane, etc... I try to keep it same to help eliminate any possible variables when filling up.

I also try to top off each tank, all the way up so I can see the gas at the flapper thingy in the filler hole. This way I know I have a FULL tank. I have noticed that even at the slowest notch on the handle, that the remaing amount I can squeeze in can vary from 1 to 2.5 gallons.

So.... I guess my new questions related to fillups are...
1 - Is topping off a good/safe thing to do to keep an accurate record of fuel used?
2 - Are there alternatives to topping off to be accurate?
3 - Would there be be any possible safety/mechanical/other drawbacks to topping off?
4 - Any other questions somebody else might have........?

I know gas pump police put the warning on the handles to try and keep me from doing this, but I guess I'm just a little rebelious sometimes

p.s. And, to expand on what Frank said about screwing around at the gas station more times, more stops give me more chances of buying that extra gatorade and snickers that I know I could do without
Old 05-01-2008, 11:35 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

CPT SLO - '93 GEO Metro plainjane
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

SilverHairBeauty - '01 Toyota Avalon XL
90 day: 24.06 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to metroschultz
It may cost 100's in the long run

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUVMY02CREW View Post
....This is when I fill up: in the mornings, same station, I even try to get the same pump if possible, same octane, etc... I try to keep it same to help eliminate any possible variables when filling up.

I also try to top off each tank, all the way up so I can see the gas at the flapper thingy in the filler hole. This way I know I have a FULL tank. I have noticed that even at the slowest notch on the handle, that the remaing amount I can squeeze in can vary from 1 to 2.5 gallons.
So.... I guess my new questions related to fillips are...
1 - Is topping off a good/safe thing to do to keep an accurate record of fuel used?
3 - Would there be be any possible safety/mechanical/other drawbacks to topping off?
Topping your tank to the fill flap is BAD.
It is neither good nor safe.
There is a designated expansion space in the upper portion of the tank that you are trying to fill with fuel.
This is why you see a variable from "1 to 2.5 gallons"
Eventually all this extra raw gas ends up in your carbon canister.
You can't just clean them any more like on the old cars.
If your canister becomes too contaminated for the system to self clean it has to be replaced, and on your 02 Crew that would be in the $300 to $400 range.

You say you always use the same pump( or try to anyway)
Pick one ring of the spring around the end and use that spot always,(that spring is there to keep the nozzle from pulling out anyway).
Then when it cuts off by itself you will have a very good fill to the same level every time.
When you use this method you may even see an increase in your MPG.

Do not under any circumstances keep pumping till you can see gas in the neck.
BAD JOOJOO
The raw gas stored in the canister is supposed to go into the intake, but, sometimes during cleaning mode it will go in while you are in the highway and the mix will be heavier than stoichiometric.
some cars will make it as rich as 10/1.The car is trying to use engine vacuum to get rid of that extra gas.
This is extremely wasteful.
The other problem you can run into when "Gas Packing" (the official term for filling into the expansion space).
You fill in the am. Fuel is cool and therefore more dense.(I know it is minor, hang on I'm making a point)
You don't drive very far. You park on an incline, nose up.
In the afternoon sun this extra gas expands.
You come out to your car to see a puddle of raw gas on the ground coming from the neck.
This I have also seen in my days at the local garage.
I hope this helps.
Schultz.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.
Albert Einstein

Last edited by metroschultz; 05-01-2008 at 11:41 AM.. Reason: clarity
Old 05-01-2008, 11:37 AM   #18 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
1. Others can probably attest to this better, but you may be filling both the tank and the filler neck. The most accurate is the same fill every time.

2. I set it on slow and take the first click (more on why in a moment)...

3. #1 drawback is evaporative pollution (ozone). The fumes evaporate into the atmosphere to create this unhealthy pollutant. Secondly, your truck's check engine light may come on. It happens now and then, but there's something to filling too much and freaking out the on-board vapor recovery system and/or return line from the fuel injection rail.

4. Not much else -- just consistency is key to getting an accurate number.

Quote:
RH77

_
_
Old 05-01-2008, 07:53 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Nerdcycle - '81 Honda CM400E
Motorcycle
90 day: 61.16 mpg (US)

Trouble - '06 Kawasaki Ninja
90 day: 74.69 mpg (US)

Edna - '13 Nissan LEAF SV
Last 3: 126.4 mpg (US)

Tank - '20 Ford Expedition Limited
Last 3: 17.4 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroschultz View Post
Then when it cuts off by itself you will have a very good fill to the same level every time.
This is not entirely true. Due to the bend in the fill neck on my truck, even on the slow setting it will back up and click itself off after just a couple gallons have been pumped on a full fillup. Granted this is an exception as well as a fairly easy one to notice, but I don't count on it as being reliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroschultz View Post
This is extremely wasteful.
The other problem you can run into when "Gas Packing" (the official term for filling into the expansion space).
[rant] "But how am I ever going to go 250-400 miles without stopping at another gas station?" says the average American, "Oh, wait, I'm an average American and only go 20 miles a day! Nevermind" Yeah right. [/rant]

Old 05-01-2008, 11:30 PM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

TANK the fifth - '02 Chevrolet S10 Crew Cab 4x4 LS
90 day: 20.44 mpg (US)
Good points to consider and a possibly new idea

Thanks for some good points to consider.

I'm not good yet at the whole quote and comment thing yet so I'll just make the comments then put the possibly new idea at the end.

- I hadn't thought about the expansion space issue, oops....but, my new idea may take care of this issue.
- I'll have to locate and inspect the charcoal canister for any degradation.
- No check engine light related to this so far, fingers crossed.
- "consistency is key to getting an accurate number" Thats what I've been shooting for and hopefully everybody else is also.
- I put about 60 to 70 miles a day on truck so I fill up at least once a week.

Now for my possibly new idea:

I got to thinking about the whole expansion area thing. What if I change my fill up location to before I make my commute(still fill to flapper for extreme accuracy)??? This way the commute will use up the "packed" in gas and the expansion area is there for the daily sun heatup.

Just thinking outloud on this, but theoretically seems reasonable this late at night