Thread: Swift brick?
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2008, 03:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Arminius
Future EV Owner

Wannabe - '05 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 40.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DifferentPointofView View Post
don't they make wiper cowls just for this purpose that doesn't require pop-riveting stuff to your hood? I'm sure they're over-priced, but some of us like our paint once I get a large enough plastic thing, I'm gonna make my own. and my own sun-visor with vents to go along.
There are carbon fiber cowls out there. If I could save $200 in gas within the first two years by buying one, I might consider it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
Arminius,it may not make a difference.Since modern cars pull ventilation air from the cowl area,immediately adjacent to the windshield base,this area is usually denoted as an area of stagnated flow reaching quite a bit forward over the hood.As in attached vortices,the free field flows over this region as if it were solid.Typically,the wipers are embedded within this region and the airstream doesn't actually impinge on them.Removing them altogether on my CRX demonstrated no measureable difference in performance at top speed,and I personally consider them a dead-end with respect to mileage improvement.
Possibly, but the wipers on the 2005 Civic sit very high above the hood compared to most cars. The wind coming over the hood hits the windshield, moves upward, and then hits the wipers. I'm used to my Ford Escape, which had a rather high hood and the wipers were below the hoodline.