View Single Post
Old 03-25-2011, 06:26 PM   #25 (permalink)
redneck
Master EcoModder

Geo XL1 - '94 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Boat tails and more mods
90 day: 72.22 mpg (US)

Big, Bad & Flat - '01 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 21.13 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,353 Times in 711 Posts
Quote:
I'm thinking for the sake of quick gearing changes, and simple service, I'm going to connect the engine to the trans using either a toothed belt or a 4 rib serpentine.

4 rib serpentine its the most likely candidate, for price, availability, range of pulleys available, etc. They surely can handle running alternator, a/c, power steering pump, etc., so my 10hp engine shouldn't have a problem with it.

Transmission to wheel, standard chain.

Clutch, I'm still thinking about. Considering ways to use a standard motorcycle clutch basket setup.[/
You can use a 2-stroke motorcycle engine. Just remove the crank, piston,cylinder and head. Replace the crank with a straight shaft machined to fit the primary gear on one end and a pully on the other (rotation will be correct). Block off the cyl. opening with a plate. Stand engine up vertical to reduce room needed. Belt the two together just like a HD.

This way you can use the existing clutch and shifter.

I would suggest using a 80cc - 125cc with a 6 speed transmission. (more compact)

This is a lot cheaper than HD tranny or Comet. Comet went out of business and it is hard to get the correct parts and or springs for adjusting engagment RPM.

This is the setup I'm going to use in my build.

>
The Following User Says Thank You to redneck For This Useful Post:
Christ (03-25-2011)