View Single Post
Old 03-26-2011, 09:08 PM   #215 (permalink)
RH77
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange4boy View Post
Wow. Good you caught that. Did having the lockup switch make the problem more obvious?
It definitely helped identify the problem sooner, but it was clearly not shifting properly -- really soft and delayed shifts, engine-on-coast from N-to-D downshifted to third instead of 4th (never did that), taking a corner it would rev-up and then catch a gear -- just all of the "dying transmission" signs. With the TC switch, you can hear a distinct click of the solenoids, so the wiring was good.

I'm happy to report that after a $7.38 hose, it's fixed and fully functional (plus a bunch of synthetic ATF -- it needed a good flush anyway ) I used a shorter hose and covered any rubbing points with a collar using spliced leftover hose. Solid shifts and TC lockup is such a great feeling. With the mess, I did what I could to collect the fluids using a minimal water rinse following the solvent application (easy to recycle at the high school shop). I ended up taking it to a car wash and used the "engine soap" on the plastic undertray, fan, and rad, then blasted it with rinse water. Even still, it's going to take a while for it all to burn-off over time (it looks like it's overheating at idle).

Overall, crisis averted and Teggy's back on the road.

RH77

_
_