View Single Post
Old 03-29-2011, 05:39 AM   #11 (permalink)
tumnasgt
EcoModding Apprentice

The Charger - '15 BMW i3
I agree with speed cameras, especially near schools and road work zones (the Police in NZ don't do speed traps in work zones, which I think is stupid).

I am actually more comfortable with cameras than officers, as if the rule is going to be enforced, it should also apply to those driving during rush hour or in the middle of the night.

Red light cameras I'm not so keen on the idea of, as there are several intersections around here where the orange light isn't long enough to let you cross the intersection at the speed limit, let alone plus the distance for 'safe stopping'. Wellington doesn't have them though, so I'm not too bothered, for now.

I heard that some European countries have tailgating cameras, and I would love to have them installed, with massive fines. It'd probably also catch a lot of people on cellphones, as tailgaters usually seem to be doing other things while they are driving (best I've seen yet is coffee + make up + reading the paper, fortunately it wasn't my bumper they were riding).

SVOboy: In NZ we have no demerit points for camera fines, and the car owner is liable for the ticket, though they are welcome to get someone else (eg the driver) to pay it. People still complain about the tickets, but at least your license is still clean. On the other hand, they do demerit points for cameras in Australia, and as I understand it, the photos are almost always clear enough to see the driver.

[apologies for the massive (and probably incoherent) post, I'm really too tired to be forum-ing]