View Single Post
Old 03-29-2011, 10:06 PM   #16 (permalink)
Thymeclock
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidalgoman View Post
"Probably all laws are useless; for good men do not want laws at all, and bad men are made no better by them." -Demonax, Roman cynic philosopher.

"There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws...you create a nation of law-breakers and then you cash in on guilt." - Ayn Rand

"When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson

Blind machines know no mercy, and Law without mercy is tyranny.

I remember having this discussion several times in my life where the one driving the car pontificated on the justness of the law. They were never amused when I pointed out the number of times they had exceeded the speed limit and made illegal lane changes, blinker usage, following distance, etc. They were in fact, indignant.

I watched the news a couple days ago where lawmakers were considering black-boxes to be placed in all new cars in order for the Police to monitor vehicular data. This system is already installed in many rental cars. If you exceed the speed limit they will add a surcharge to your bill. So I guess it boils down not so much what is safe or unsafe as it is how much a person wants to place themselves under a merciless system of law enforcement, the very laws than most people oppose if not by speech at least by tacit deed.

By the way, I do try to keep traffic laws. By experience I mostly find myself in the minority.
So do I.

I much appreciated the quotes you posted. I think we both recognize authoritarianism when it rears its ugly head (be it Left wing or Right wing,) and are willing to point it out.

BTW, a fundamental problem with camera and sensor evidence is that you can't cross-examine a camera or a machine in a court of law. That is an inherent denial of the due process rights of the accused.