View Single Post
Old 03-30-2011, 12:21 AM   #11 (permalink)
orange4boy
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
Quote:
Originally Posted by some_other_dave View Post
That's where checking the BSFC charts comes in. From reading those, generally around 2000-2200 RPM and 70% load is the most efficient. The rest of the energy goes to noise and heat.

-soD
That part, I know. I know about BSFC and engine efficiency. It's the theoretical part I'm looking for. Forget about engines and cars for a minute. Think physics class. I know, it hurts.

Does it require more energy to create the same amount of kinetic energy? ball 1: 10mph in 10 seconds vs ball 2: 10mph in 5 seconds. Theoretically, I don't think it does. I'm just trying to confirm this so I can fully understand.

Getting back to cars: If all the difference in losses between accelerating faster and slower have to do with engine efficiency then there is no limit on how fast you accelerate for FE but the engine BSFC. I realize there may be other factors like increased friction.

I was under the assumption that the energy required to accelerate to X speed over time was exponential but I now think it's directly proportional. Just cant seem to find a source that can confirm this.

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.

Last edited by orange4boy; 03-30-2011 at 12:31 AM..