View Single Post
Old 04-04-2011, 08:52 PM   #123 (permalink)
nimblemotors
EcoModding Jack

hybrid drive

I've decided since this project is taking so gosh darn long, I might as well make it take longer, so I'm going ahead with a hybrid drive.

The idea is to replace the starter motor and the alternator with a motor that can both start the engine, charge the batteries, and use battery power to help propel the vehicle, either for acceleration or just to reduce the fuel needed to move it down the road. This really is one of those "of course" things that car makers should have done a long time ago, but haven't just because why bother to fix something not broken..

I weighed the starter and the alternator, and the front pulley, and their total was 24lbs. I have a 15hp BLDC motor that weighs, guess what, 24lbs.
So the hybrid drive adds no additional weight to the car, except any additional batteries beyond needed to start the car.

I have added a 15hp BLDC motor to the front of the engine, which is one reason I moved the engine back, the motor fits with plenty of room behind the front crossmember. The bad news is that I blew up the motor controller for it that I created (originally for an electric jetski I built). So I'm now working on building another one, this time it will be more robust as paddling back home isn't an option here.

I've also decided to just put this supposedly low-mileage motor in the car. I pulled the plugs and they looked clean, oil was clean, will do a compression test once I can get the engine to spinning with the electric motor.