View Single Post
Old 04-06-2011, 10:55 AM   #263 (permalink)
Wonderboy
Master EcoModder

The Fruit Bat - '01 Honda Insight
Last 3: 54.26 mpg (US)

Current - '21 Subaru Impreza Wagon
90 day: 34.36 mpg (US)
I actually JUST put it back on the road yesterday. I normally bike to work, but I drove 'er to work today for the hell of it and to break it in more (still on its first oil from the engine rebuild, and on its second gas fill). Whole driver's side situation is just peachy now - replaced all ball joints, upper control arm (comes attached to the ball joint I needed - I guess that ball joint is not removable from OEM control arm??) and new bearing. All peachy except one thing: It still didn't make that wobble go away. If that wheel is jacked up off the ground and I grab a hold of it, it has some play. I have no idea where it comes from. It has nothing to do with the axle, ball joints are all brand new and definitely not loosey goosey, and the lug nuts are on tight. It feels very much like it would if the lug nuts were loose enough to allow the brake disc to wiggle between the pads. When I was driving it around testing the feel of it, going about 50 down a hill, I'd take some righthand curves (putting weight to that side of the car) and hear an "I don't particularly like that" kind of slight friction noise as opposed to "my life or my car's life is in danger right now" noise. Aside from that, I'm starting to get confident enough to rely on the car for longer trips. For a practice run perhaps I'll go up and take that trip around seneca lake and see what I come up with. Haven't done ANY aero yet.