View Single Post
Old 05-02-2008, 11:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
LostCause
Liberti

Thunderbird - '96 Ford Thunderbird
90 day: 27.75 mpg (US)
I was under the impression that boating was the most efficient form of transport available. While boats operate in a liquid (draggy) environment, they are the slowest and "densest" transporter of goods. What they lack in efficiency they make up in volume. This doesn't apply to the QM2, but goods shipping in general.

Ofcourse, the most efficient way to get to England would be sailing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvatum
I wonder how practical it would be to run a plane on hydrogen (generated of course from nuclear power)? That's the only thing that would really help. I don't think flying more slowly would really improve the GHG output that much.
In the 1950's, the Airforce flew a B36 Peacemaker with a reactor onboard. It didn't power the aircraft, but that was the eventual intent.

I'd be worried about the energy density of hydrogen, which is pretty low compared to gasoline. Unless some type of substrate method takes off that increases fuel density, planes will either be severely handicapped performance-wise or space-wise.

I'd be more interested in the return of the Zeppelin. The ultimate marriage of hydrogen and aviation.

- LostCause