View Single Post
Old 04-09-2011, 09:21 PM   #207 (permalink)
ECONORAM
halos.com

ECONORAM - '07 Dodge RAM 1500 QC SLT flex-fuel
90 day: 18.16 mpg (US)

the Avenger - '08 Dodge Avenger SXT
90 day: 27.06 mpg (US)
Send a message via Yahoo to ECONORAM
use car wax as a release agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather Spotter View Post
Day 6

I did take a look and where the car and tail meet there is some gaps. I need some ideas on how to fill them in. I want a water tight seal but I still want it removable from the car. Ideas?

Top:

From the inside looking out:

I have a few ideas some are bad others are weird so help me come up with a solution.
1. caulk the daylights out of it each time I take it on and off (and pray it releases off the car)
2. add weather stripping and hope for the best (do they make it 1" think?)
3. take off tail (want to avoid but will if needed), cover the car in plastic, reattach the tail, and bondo the holes shut.
4. let it leak
5 let it leak but make a barrier inside and direct water out a hole in the bottom. How?

6 your idea here_______________________
Sorry I didn't find this thread sooner. What we did when I worked as an A&P could work for you.
We had to remove and reinstall fuel panels on integrated wing tanks. We'd remove the panels, scrape the sealer off the wing and panel, and when ready to reinstall...we'd wax the mating surface on the wing, leaving the wax as applied--dried to a haze (do not buff and remove), then apply a coat of sealer (1422B1/2 typically) to the panel and run the screws in. Once the sealer dried, it served as a custom fit gasket/seal. The wax acts as a release agent.
You will have to apply some force in order to remove the part, as it does stick pretty good still. I did this before on a set of spark plug wires, where one was arching to the head. Waxed the plugs, spread some RTV on the sides of the spark plug boots, and shoved them on. Presto, custom fit seals.
You could use RTV, maybe spray foam or something else once you have waxed the surfaces on the car.
The Following User Says Thank You to ECONORAM For This Useful Post:
Gtaw (06-09-2011)