View Single Post
Old 04-10-2011, 06:32 PM   #15 (permalink)
endurance
Master EcoModder

RSX2fast4mpg - '02 Acura RSX Type S
90 day: 38.22 mpg (US)

bubbatrucker - '98 Chevrolet K1500
90 day: 18.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodak View Post
I forgot to specify about the situation, but this is a street with kids playing and stuff.

To be honest though, I'm not really comfortable with EOC. I know it's somewhat popular among the most serious hypermilers, but I've never used it.

Thanks for the suggestion though. I thought somebody might ask that, because I didn't provide much background info about the situation.
Completely understood. It took me a long time to get to the point where I was comfortable with it and it's certainly not for everyone.

One thing perhaps not mentioned is that DFCO on many cars won't engage until 2200-2500 rpm with a cold engine on a car that might engage at 1700-2000 once warmed up. In my Acura, it will engage at 2400 when cold, about 1800 when warmed up, but when cold, it also tends to disengage around 1600rpm, so it's a very narrow band when you're winding down a mountain road. It's just easier for me to go EOC in the mornings, but on the downhill sections of my drive home, I tend to use more DFCO because of heavier traffic. When I'm in DFCO I'm showing 9999mpg and 0gph on the scanguage II the same as when I'm EOC (indicating no fuel consumption). When I'm coasting with the engine on my MPG varies based on my speed from the low teens to 200+ (when my engine is cold I'm using .37gph, when warm .24gph).