Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2011, 01:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Max - '01 Nissan Maxima 20th Anniversary Ed.
90 day: 28.6 mpg (US)
^^ Well i have a 2001 Maxima and i dont think u can say its 2002vs 2006 programming....my DFCO is at 1500 and my car doesnt go into open loop for 4 min after a start...10 seconds maybe...

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-09-2011, 01:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
@euromodder

Idle consumption should be in GPH or LPH since you can be idling and moving at different speeds.
Certainly, but my car doesn't show L/h and I don't trust the SG reading.

So I use coasting @ 100 kph to check the idle fuel consumption : 0,5L/100km, or 0,5 L/h

It goes out of DFCO at low revs, somewhere in the 1200-1000 rpm region.

Old 04-10-2011, 03:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

RSX2fast4mpg - '02 Acura RSX Type S
90 day: 38.22 mpg (US)

bubbatrucker - '98 Chevrolet K1500
90 day: 18.1 mpg (US)
Am I missing something? Why are you leaving the engine running in the first place? As much as I've seen improvements from DFCO once I discovered it and started using it instead of coasting in neutral (probably 1.5mpg improvement), compared to driving with the engine off but the ignition switch in the run position, there's no comparison. As soon as I see a light up the road, sometimes a quarter mile ahead, I'm putting my car (manual transmission) into neutral and turning off the engine to start coasting. If the light turns green, then I bump start it. If I'm forced to stop, then I watch the cross light and restart upon seeing the yellow light come on. It's a solid 2mpg better than just leaving it running in my commute, but YMMV. I have an 8.5 mile descent that I have the engine off for, for all but 5 seconds.

Cheat to win. Playing by the rules is for people who have money to burn on gas.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Canyon - '07 GMC Canyon 2wd regular cab
90 day: 24.95 mpg (US)
I forgot to specify about the situation, but this is a street with kids playing and stuff.

To be honest though, I'm not really comfortable with EOC. I know it's somewhat popular among the most serious hypermilers, but I've never used it.

Thanks for the suggestion though. I thought somebody might ask that, because I didn't provide much background info about the situation.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:32 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

RSX2fast4mpg - '02 Acura RSX Type S
90 day: 38.22 mpg (US)

bubbatrucker - '98 Chevrolet K1500
90 day: 18.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodak View Post
I forgot to specify about the situation, but this is a street with kids playing and stuff.

To be honest though, I'm not really comfortable with EOC. I know it's somewhat popular among the most serious hypermilers, but I've never used it.

Thanks for the suggestion though. I thought somebody might ask that, because I didn't provide much background info about the situation.
Completely understood. It took me a long time to get to the point where I was comfortable with it and it's certainly not for everyone.

One thing perhaps not mentioned is that DFCO on many cars won't engage until 2200-2500 rpm with a cold engine on a car that might engage at 1700-2000 once warmed up. In my Acura, it will engage at 2400 when cold, about 1800 when warmed up, but when cold, it also tends to disengage around 1600rpm, so it's a very narrow band when you're winding down a mountain road. It's just easier for me to go EOC in the mornings, but on the downhill sections of my drive home, I tend to use more DFCO because of heavier traffic. When I'm in DFCO I'm showing 9999mpg and 0gph on the scanguage II the same as when I'm EOC (indicating no fuel consumption). When I'm coasting with the engine on my MPG varies based on my speed from the low teens to 200+ (when my engine is cold I'm using .37gph, when warm .24gph).

Reply  Post New Thread