View Single Post
Old 04-12-2011, 11:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
crisco
EcoModding New Guy

did i mention i am a huge subaru fan??? also a fan of turbochargers... i think they have a place in fuel efficiency world overall. interested in seeing some cool mods on all sorts of vehicles on here.

also i remember reading somewhere that the subaru XT at the time they came out with it, had the one of the lowest coefficient of drag of any production car up to that point. that was way back in the early 80s though.... I dont own an XT, but would love to find one some day and see what we could do with it. for me it is part of the inspiration to improve.

from wikipedia (for what that's worth):
Aerodynamics

The extreme wedge body shape was possible due to the engine's flat horizontally opposed cylinder layout shared by all Subarus in 1985. Extensive wind tunnel testing was used to lower wind resistance and even "aircraft type" door handles were used that were totally flush with the outside of the door. To open the door, it was required to push a hinged panel out of the release mechanism's opening. There is one 22 inch windshield wiper, when not in use tucks under the hood, and rubber spoilers before each wheel well opening doubled as "mud guards" but really acted to direct airflow smoothly past the tires and wheels. The result was one of the most aerodynamic production car of its time with a coefficient of drag or Cd. of 0.29, improved fuel economy, and a quieter ride due to reduced amounts of wind noise.