Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2011, 11:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding New Guy

hey from the new guy

hey i've been thinking about joining this for a long time... i am thinking about doing a few things to get better mileage out of my subaru WRX wagon... it's not the perfect starting point i know but maybe that means i can get more bang from my modding.

starting point: 2002 wrx wagon, hwy: 27 mpg when new (im the original owner). now after 10 years and 205,000 miles, still gets 27 mpg on the highway. no modifications to the car to speak of.

i also have a 99 sti sedan, a 2002 echo, a T100 and a Dodge caravan..

i will try to clean things up without changing the shape too much at first and see how that goes. i did remove the rear wing and i suppose that is better for mileage.

next i would probably plan on doing some changes to the wheels/tires, and then some engine/tuning work.

thats my plan for now but who knows, maybe i will get more ideas as time goes on.

i would love to be able to get a much better way to determine gas mileage as a base point and monitor things as time goes on. like a specific route to drive, and a very accurate and precise way to monitor fuel consumption.

looking forward to learning more from you gurus.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-12-2011, 11:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding New Guy

did i mention i am a huge subaru fan??? also a fan of turbochargers... i think they have a place in fuel efficiency world overall. interested in seeing some cool mods on all sorts of vehicles on here.

also i remember reading somewhere that the subaru XT at the time they came out with it, had the one of the lowest coefficient of drag of any production car up to that point. that was way back in the early 80s though.... I dont own an XT, but would love to find one some day and see what we could do with it. for me it is part of the inspiration to improve.

from wikipedia (for what that's worth):
Aerodynamics

The extreme wedge body shape was possible due to the engine's flat horizontally opposed cylinder layout shared by all Subarus in 1985. Extensive wind tunnel testing was used to lower wind resistance and even "aircraft type" door handles were used that were totally flush with the outside of the door. To open the door, it was required to push a hinged panel out of the release mechanism's opening. There is one 22 inch windshield wiper, when not in use tucks under the hood, and rubber spoilers before each wheel well opening doubled as "mud guards" but really acted to direct airflow smoothly past the tires and wheels. The result was one of the most aerodynamic production car of its time with a coefficient of drag or Cd. of 0.29, improved fuel economy, and a quieter ride due to reduced amounts of wind noise.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hexd - '93 Honda DX Hatchback
Dare I ask why CRISCO...?

Only 27mpg out of a Subaru? Dang~ shoulda kept my '05 GT Mustang~ it got 26+ , AND would go 150!
Old 04-13-2011, 04:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding New Guy

yeah, that AWD and turbo like to eat up gas, even though it only has a 2.0 liter 4 cylinder! depending on the person who's connected to the gas pedal of course.

i've never driven 150 mph, but i like spending my time going 35-45 mph on the twisty roads (tail of the dragon in TN/NC), or cruising the gravel/mud roads around here.

plus at 150 you would be getting more like 8-10 mpg probably lol.

crisco has been my nickname since middle school (a long time ago) since there are so many chris's out there and my last name starts with the letters 'sco'______.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
in tents

The Adventure Wagon - '94 Subaru Loyale Wagon 4x4
Subaru
90 day: 33.43 mpg (US)

Electro-Monkey - '11 Surly Karate Monkey BMC V2S Front Hub Motor
90 day: 694.1 mpg (US)
Crisco, nice work - 27 out of a WRX is pretty good!
Old 04-13-2011, 06:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding New Guy

Thanks! yeah that's what it was getting me ever since day 1, i figure that's not too bad, although its the EPA rating. i'm sure i could get closer to 30 if i tried.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
in tents

The Adventure Wagon - '94 Subaru Loyale Wagon 4x4
Subaru
90 day: 33.43 mpg (US)

Electro-Monkey - '11 Surly Karate Monkey BMC V2S Front Hub Motor
90 day: 694.1 mpg (US)
There are lots of things you can do for free, but until you get a Scangauge (or other MPG instrumentation), you will be learning slowly, on a tank-by-tank basis.

The free stuff:
  • stop idling (key-off at stoplights)
  • lower your average speed (serious attitude adjustment!)
  • take a better route (45mph with no stops is ideal), anticipate traffic lights & slow down early so you don't have to stop
  • keep your tire pressure up to sidewall max, at least
  • reduce short trips (your scangauge will show you how much fuel it costs to warm up your car)
  • pull the Air Conditioner fuse so it doesn't engage the compressor when you hit the defrost

Almost free:
  • kill switch for engine-off coasting without using the key
  • grill block
  • remove engine accessories (who needs power steering? pull the pump & drain the rack & get a shorter accessory belt).
  • Mirror delete
  • smooth wheel covers.

Good luck!
Old 02-27-2012, 09:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding New Guy

ok im back into things now... except i sold the two gas hogs (the turbo subarus) and still have the minivan, the truck, and the echo.

so now im going to focus on the echo. i know the automatic echos arent as efficient as manuals, but its what i have. im going to look at smaller mirrors, grill blocks, better pressure in the tires, and moon caps on the steel rims. also synthetic motor oil and trans fluid. (possibly mess around with under belly for front and rear).

id like to lower it too, there are some lowering springs for $50 in my area but im not sure that will help significantly. (likely a .75" drop)

also i got a scan guage so i can keep better track.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding New Guy

i've been driving with the front grille taped up and the mirrors folded, and some smooth hubcaps on... i have a feeling it will do alot better but i do so much short-trip driving with it - it doesnt really shine yet. my commute is 1.5 miles. .75 on gravel and .75 miles on pavement lol.

no complaints though~!!!

Reply  Post New Thread