Thread: I give up.
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2011, 01:34 PM   #29 (permalink)
wdb
lurker's apprentice

PlainJane - '12 Toyota Tacoma Base 4WD Access Cab
90 day: 20.98 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
It sounds like they built the entire car around the AC system. How brilliant.
That's one way of looking at it I guess. The other way of looking at it is, they found a way to keep A/C running on a hybrid even with the engine shut down. A nice little plus for folks in the Arizona desert, or Houston TX, or any of a bazillion other places that are extraordinarily hot&humid and have people living in them who drive cars.
Quote:
If you ever buy another Honda, make it a two-wheeled version, not four.
I'm sorry but I don't get the connection. I have a Honda and it is so dead simple to fix that I do it myself. The fact that the Honda hybrid is complex is not evidence that all Hondas are junk. And frankly I'm more than a bit perturbed by the general impression around here that hybrids are somehow supposed to everything they do AND be simple to fix. The world doesn't work that way.

All that having been said: I personally feel a wee bit vindicated by this tale of woe. I've been avoiding hybrids because I think their added complexity can only mean added maintenance headaches, sooner or later. And since I keep my cars until they rot out from under me, that matters a lot. I think I'll stick with my decision for now. Maybe someday hybrid systems will be standardized sufficiently, and techs trained enough, to make owning one for longer than a lease term a practical idea. But it sounds to me like that time has not yet arrived.