View Single Post
Old 04-16-2011, 02:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Rebuilding my EV Motorcycle

Hi Everyone,

I have a 1981 Kawasaki KZ440 motorcycle that has been converted to electric.

I never did a fantastic job on the wiring. (The original wiring harness was melted off, and since I didn't need anything related to the gas engine, I just rebuilt it with my own wires.) I want to rebuild the wire harness with it looking really nice.

I also need to replace the tires. (I already have the tires, got them on sale end of last summer.)

I need to clean up the rims, polish the chrome parts, the seat could use getting re-covered, definately needs some black touch-up paint on the frame.

In short, I really want to have the cycle LOOK GOOD when it's all done.

This is my first motorcycle, and I really haven't done much polishing and that sort of thing before.

I could use any and all general advice about cleaningin/polishing/painting that I can get.

I'm also considering replacing the headlamp with an HID. It's the classic, round sealed beam bulb. If anyone has done an HID upgrade for that style lamp, please let me know who your vendor was.

I'll start posting some photos of work as I do it, but so far, I have already removed the fairing and rear cargo boxes. I just got both the front and rear wheels off. (I borrowed a friend's cycle jack.)

All help appreciated!

-Ben

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos