View Single Post
Old 04-16-2011, 05:43 PM   #34 (permalink)
Kodak
Master EcoModder

Canyon - '07 GMC Canyon 2wd regular cab
90 day: 24.95 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post

I doubt I'd ever recommend to a bunch of newbies "brake hard"- it's ripe for misinterpretation and that's how the clods are driving now during their Stoplight Gran Prix.
I can see how that might cause misinterpretation. The same message can be conveyed by saying: predict, anticipate and slow down early.

The problem is audience variation. Tell a group of ecodrivers to brake hard, and it means cut losses by scrubbing off excess momentum. Tell the same thing to someone who treats is like ^ a race, and the result is totally different.

In my opinion, the best approach is to tell drivers to actively seek information. If they actually follow suit, they'll naturally be looking for yellow lights and brake lights. Then they'll realize how tailgating seriously hinders one's ability to gather said information (and causes abrupt stops). Same result, different approach.

TheMarkofPolo - I checked out your sideshow. I think you got the basics down. You're right to avoid getting too complicated; it's an easy way to lose the audience. My one criticism is that, although you covered the money saving aspect, I don't think you explained just how easy it is. Most ecodriving tactics don't waste time, but I suspect that the opposite is sometimes assumed.

Almost forgot: Have you given the presentation yet? If not, I may have some materials of interest for you from a very interesting public presentation course I took.

Last edited by Kodak; 04-16-2011 at 05:45 PM.. Reason: Forgot something