View Single Post
Old 04-20-2011, 07:13 PM   #22 (permalink)
jamesqf
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
The P1449 code[/B] relates to the IMA battery.....
Clearing the code via the ScanGauge & resetting the CEL didn't help.
The P1449 (and some other IMA codes) can't be effectively cleared by the ScanGauge. (They'll clear, but pop right back up in a second or two.) What you need to do is to pull fuse #18 from the fuse box by the driver's left leg, wait 10 seconds, and put it back in. The code should be cleared. It's same as disconnecting the 12-volt battery, but doesn't seem to reset the CD clock or (most of the time) ScanGauge settings.

It's quite possible that the code was set by an intermittent problem, like for instance flooring it and trying for full assist when the pack's at low charge, or (if it's weak) going below a certain charge level and getting a recal. In that case you should be able to keep on driving (more gently :-)) for quite some time, until you can rebalance the pack.

This is in fact pretty much what happened to mine a couple of years ago. Would have to pull the fuse every week or two (even epoxied a bit of cord onto it to make it easy to find in the dark), eventually rebalanced the pack and it worked fine, though I'm thinking I may have to do another rebalance soon.

So thanks to owner/dealer ignorance, you may have scored a real bargain!

PS: Re safety/smog inspection, the record of the code will stay in the OBDI system for a while - not sure just how long - so depending on local requirements you may need to drive for a while. I _think_ it takes a certain number of engine warming from cold to operating temp to clear permanently, but I never did find a definitive answer.

Last edited by jamesqf; 04-20-2011 at 07:19 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jamesqf For This Useful Post:
Christ (04-20-2011), MetroMPG (04-20-2011)