View Single Post
Old 04-26-2011, 03:56 PM   #176 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Filled the bike up today, 5 bucks for 100 miles, 5 cents a mile. In the summer of 1968, the year I graduated from high school, it cost me 32 cents a gallon and my AH Sprite got 32 MPG, so it was 1 cent a mile.

I was making $22.79 for 40 hours work in 68 working as a soda jerk at the local amusement park. This year we grossed 79K and paid over 8k in fed taxes, even though I am retired and she has been working part time since she retired 3 years ago.

I am with Frank on this one, it's a pleasure driving and riding these days since the land yachts are mostly parked and for sale on Craigslist. Maybe this time they will actually not go back up in price, and maybe some entrepreneur with a little cash would like to build a really neat car.

If that happens it would be fantastic, but if it doesn't, then we are very well prepared to handle $250 per month in fuel costs, it certainly is not enough to go out and buy a Leaf, since they calculate it will cost at least 6 cents a mile in operating costs.

Personally I would like to see the price go up significantly higher, so instead of reacting then forgetting the fuel sucking pigs will leave permanently.

Been driving cheap here for 43 years.

Got the 1971 CB 350 inspected yesterday. My buddy passed it but told me to get new mufflers. Hmmm a $325 bike that needs two $400 mufflers. Found two Harley take offs on Craigslist and bought them for $50 for both. I couldn't believe it they were a perfect fit on the 1971 Honda, used the Honda clamps, and gasket with the Harley muffler between them, even the mounting point for the frame bracket was the same location.

Think of it, the 1971 (40 years old in April) CB 350 would do the 1/4 mile in the mid 13 second range and get 70 MPG if driven conservatively. How much better are we today compared to a bike that was an antique in Va 15 years ago.

regards
Mech
The Following User Says Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
Frank Lee (04-26-2011)