View Single Post
Old 04-27-2011, 07:07 PM   #359 (permalink)
NeilBlanchard
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Do you have an UltraGauge or ScanGauge II? The temp is 204F when the fan comes on, and I have never seen it go much higher than 206F, or so. You should try blocking the holes in the "chin" area between the bumper and the radiator -- this will push more of the air that does come through the grill, through the radiator. Does the red light come on in the speedometer? I have never seen this.

Also, is there a slot just above the front bumper on your car? If you leave the upper part of the upper grill blocked, but open the slot up, you might see slightly lower temps. But, when you are not moving, and running the A/C, you will have to dump heat. I have not had any heat issues in the ~3+ years I have had my grill block.

I didn't say get rid of wheel strakes -- I got rid of the front mud flaps. And I added the rear wheel strakes -- the wedges behind the rear wheels, and I think they have helped somewhat. They need to be reworked a little -- I think the driver's side one is still too wide and it is looking a bit ratty after 2 winters. I should try to make some out of light aluminum sheeting; but I'd rather spend my time starting to build my CarBEN EV...

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/