Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2011, 08:30 AM   #351 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2TDI View Post
That is a pretty nice system! It looks like the screens are mounted inside a mirror? If there were three screens, or the two side screens were on either side of the rear view mirror, then they would be more ergonomic.

Those cameras look to be pretty good, they have some barrel distortion, but that *could* be optically corrected, and they seem to have decent 'F-stops' -- the night shots seem to be pretty good. Remember how bright headlights are in optical mirrors. You can see the cars, which is key.

My experience is that a larger screen is better, all else being equal. And the author mentions the difficulty focusing on the screens vs the optical mirror -- this is probably worth avoiding this aspect. Just have two (or three) screens, and have optical mirrors.

The BMW system is for "seeing around corners"; not regular side view mirrors.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-14-2011, 08:54 AM   #352 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Toyota

Team Nissan

TEAM VW AUDI Group
Here are the screens I would probably buy now, if I was building a video mirror system:

Eonon L0607 | Car Monitors | Car Stand Alone Monitor

The only caveat is the plug location on the side -- the screen specs look better than the screens I have.

Here's a larger and higher resolution screen, with much better wire locations, but the screen contrast and brightness is slightly lower.

Eonon L0608 | Car Monitors | Car Stand Alone Monitor

Old 01-14-2011, 07:52 PM   #353 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post

The BMW system is for "seeing around corners"; not regular side view mirrors.
I know that but the location could work for rear view too maybe?
Old 01-14-2011, 07:57 PM   #354 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Wow 8 and 9" seems too huge for this purpose no?! I could picture myself having something that I could stick in the sunvisor mirror spot or one of those visors with built-in LCDs
Old 01-14-2011, 08:24 PM   #355 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

This looks cool

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/imag...08afbae643.jpg
Old 04-26-2011, 11:32 AM   #356 (permalink)
Newbee Hypermiler!

SilverHondaFit - '13 Honda Fit
90 day: 35.72 mpg (US)
Hi Neil,

I own a 2006 Scion xA (Auto Shift) I follow and re-read this thread multiple times. The grill block and moon disks have helped me a lot and I get close to 38+ MPGS on an average. I live in Dallas and drive almost 60 miles daily which has 90% of highway driving. I try to keep the speed between 55 to 60 most of the times. Certain stretch of highway is 70MPH limit and I cannot slow down below 60 otherwise I will be run over by pickups in a flash.

My next attempt is to have wheel skirts installed using coroplast. Any other mods you think which may help? I have not lowered my car yet. I do have basic firestone tires and nothing fancy. I keep them inflated 40psi+.

I would love to get beyond 41 or 42 MPGs on this car.

I log my fuel logs here: 2006 Scion xA Gas Mileage (BlackScionXA) - EcoModder.com

I also saw your fuels logs and did not understand those percentage additions you did. Please help achieve the higher MPGs and any techniques that might help me on my auto shift and driving conditions.

Thanks for being an inspiration and all the help

Old 04-26-2011, 01:17 PM   #357 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Toyota

Team Nissan

TEAM VW AUDI Group
Speed is key -- I drive 55-60mph when using the throttle.

The upper grill block was huge. My car is a RS 2.0 which had a more open grill than stock, but you should see an increase with a full upper grill block. I also blocked off the "chin" area between the front bumper and the radiator, as well as about half of the lower grill.

I think the front and rear wheel skirts are key, and the rear wheel strakes are also important. If you can do a larger Kamm back, like the one on MetroMPG's car, and a smooth belly pan -- and ideally a full boattail, then you would go much higher.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:09 PM   #358 (permalink)
Newbee Hypermiler!

Thanks for your reply. I will work on getting wheel skirts for my xA.

I have a question though about the upper grill block. I had gorilla black tape (since my car is black looks great) on my upper grill. In Dallas you get lot of temprature variations and during hot days 90+ F you have to have AC running otherwise you are a fried potato.

I noticed my fan is running whenever I have stop at light (no AC on) or it is running while driving with AC on most of the times. My concern is will this fry some of the things under hood for my car? I do not want to have car fire for sure. Also do not want to go beyond or near the tolerable temprature limits for the engine. So I took away one of the tape from the grill and then fan is not whirring as frequently. Of course that will cost me at least 1 mile per gallon.

Also what is the best and cheaperst way to lower the car? Will lowering car by upto 2 inches will really make any difference? Can this be done on the stock springs?

Kammback like metroMPG sounds good but what is the best way to achieve it on our cars. Also do you mean to get rid of rear wheel strakes?

Old 04-27-2011, 07:07 PM   #359 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Toyota

Team Nissan

TEAM VW AUDI Group
Do you have an UltraGauge or ScanGauge II? The temp is 204F when the fan comes on, and I have never seen it go much higher than 206F, or so. You should try blocking the holes in the "chin" area between the bumper and the radiator -- this will push more of the air that does come through the grill, through the radiator. Does the red light come on in the speedometer? I have never seen this.

Also, is there a slot just above the front bumper on your car? If you leave the upper part of the upper grill blocked, but open the slot up, you might see slightly lower temps. But, when you are not moving, and running the A/C, you will have to dump heat. I have not had any heat issues in the ~3+ years I have had my grill block.

I didn't say get rid of wheel strakes -- I got rid of the front mud flaps. And I added the rear wheel strakes -- the wedges behind the rear wheels, and I think they have helped somewhat. They need to be reworked a little -- I think the driver's side one is still too wide and it is looking a bit ratty after 2 winters. I should try to make some out of light aluminum sheeting; but I'd rather spend my time starting to build my CarBEN EV...

Old 04-28-2011, 01:37 PM   #360 (permalink)
Newbee Hypermiler!

Hi Neil,

Yes I have noticed same thing about temprature. I never saw red coolant temprature light came on ever. I use software called OBDScope OBDScope - The OBD tool for Symbian on my Nokia E71. It does all things what Scanguage or Ultra gauge does and it was only $10 bucks. I bought the Bluetooth OBD reader off eBay for only $20.

I do not have the slot just below the front grill like you have. Only two front grill slots and those I can block with black tape. I do have part of the lower front grill blocked.

Mooneyes hub caps have helped a little like 1MPG improvement. I would definitely go ahead and create those wheel skirts as soon as possible. Lowering vehicle with new springs looks expensive so I will not go there.

I do not have any mud flaps at all. The rear bumper looks like parachute and blocking that will help a lot I think. I will keep posting my findings.

K&N filter is nice but did not see much improvements on the MPGs.

Also this week I am using Cruise as much as possible for the most of the stretch of the drive to figure out taking off right foot will improve anthing or not.

Thanks

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
grille block