View Single Post
Old 04-30-2011, 06:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
steveo126
EcoModding Lurker

just because you can do it doesnt mean its the smartest thing to do. like with many things on cars, the optimal tire pressure is what the factory writes on the inside of the b-pillar near the drivers seat. the recommended tire inflation chart there (for my libby, its 33psi all around) is the best compromise between safety, ride comfort, handling, and fuel economy. its posted at that number because psi fluctuates and the rec. pressure is the middle ground for that. to say that its purely put there so you can blame the manufacturer is one of the most absurd statements ive heard in a while. NO company wants to take the blame for someones mistakes so they put that there to avoid conflict and do everything they can to not be liable.

think about it this way:

youre not saving enough money from overinflating ur rubbers to offset the medical expenses when they blow out and you hit another car.

and believe me, im all for this website and the message it advocates (maximizing the efficiency of your vehicle) but i draw the line at risking my life and others around me