View Single Post
Old 04-30-2011, 09:30 PM   #22 (permalink)
skyl4rk
Coasting Down the Peak

Toyauto Pickup - '94 Toyota Pickup 2WD
90 day: 36.32 mpg (US)

Versa Base - '09 Versa Sedan 1.6 Base
Team Nissan
90 day: 41.69 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc7ekk View Post
Before I messed with my scan gauge settings I was getting "9999" as the MPG during times of higher speed coasting. After setting "fuel cutoff" from 24 (default) to 0. My scan gauge was able to report back very high MPG readings without going into overflow mode (9999).
Does this affect the calibration at all?

In the past I did not use engine braking much at all, but did notice that I get 9999mph and 0.00gph when engine braking. I don't know if this is true. My previous habit was to coast in neutral as much as possible and pedal brake to a stop, and the scangauge showed about 0.25gph, and mpg was in the 200s and 300s, depending on how fast I was rolling in neutral in my Nissan Versa Base manual transmission.

Today I went out for a ride of about 80 miles. Instead of coasting in neutral all the time, I accelerated up to 5th gear (top gear) and anticipated stops using engine braking, leaving the car in 5th gear until almost ready to stop. I went down hills using engine braking where before I would coast down and exceed the speed limit and had to pedal brake.

This afternoon's ride was very nice due to lack of traffic (sticker shock at the pump?). For the most part I was able to drive 40mph with no tailgaters, in fact almost no traffic on the roads. I was very pleasantly surprised by avg mpg results, which was above 50 mpg (EPA is about 30). This is in part due to low speeds, but I think the engine braking strategy is an improvement over neutral coasting and pedal braking.

Caveat: this is based on a scangauge reading, and I question whether zero gas is being used when engine braking, I don't know if this is correct.