Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2009, 12:28 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Protege - '97 Mazda Protege DX
90 day: 46.42 mpg (US)
It depends on how you setup the scangauge. You can program the scangauge to calculate fuel cut off on coasting. Or you can program scangauge to assume you idle on coasting in gear. How do you know what your fuel injector actually do so you can program your scangauge? Does anyone know a place to look this up or a way of determining. I'll do some searching to see if I find any answers.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-29-2011, 02:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Latoya - '92 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 106.69 mpg (US)
The answer to your question is below.

I just finished some research on this exact topic. My findings are published here:
kc7ekk-solar.blogspot.com/2011/04/coast-in-neutral-or-in-gear.html

The answer is both.
With a cold engine, coasting in neutral uses 12% less fuel than coasting in gear. (at least for the default values in the computer of my wife's 2002 Chevy Venture). When the engine is warmed up, it flips the other way and coasting in gear saves on average 2.7% more fuel than coasting in neutral.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

set the cut-off setting to 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by busypaws View Post
It depends on how you setup the scangauge. You can program the scangauge to calculate fuel cut off on coasting. Or you can program scangauge to assume you idle on coasting in gear. How do you know what your fuel injector actually do so you can program your scangauge? Does anyone know a place to look this up or a way of determining. I'll do some searching to see if I find any answers.
Before I messed with my scan gauge settings I was getting "9999" as the MPG during times of higher speed coasting. After setting "fuel cutoff" from 24 (default) to 0. My scan gauge was able to report back very high MPG readings without going into overflow mode (9999).
Old 04-29-2011, 06:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc7ekk View Post
With a cold engine, coasting in neutral uses 12% less fuel than coasting in gear. (at least for the default values in the computer of my wife's 2002 Chevy Venture). When the engine is warmed up, it flips the other way and coasting in gear saves on average 2.7% more fuel than coasting in neutral.
What do you mean with "coasting in gear" ?
Pushing in the clutch and leaving the gear lever in the gear it was in ?

Old 04-29-2011, 06:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

coasting in gear == clutch engaged

"Coasting in gear", refers to letting off the gas but leaving the clutch in the gear it was in. Preferably a high gear so the RPM of the dead weight of the engine doesn't slow you down too much.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:28 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Black Beauty - '13 Hyundai Elantra
euromodder is probably going to tell you that DFCO (coasting in gear) is always worse, but I was theorizing about this on the way home from work today and I think it probably depends on how much braking you get from the engine. Some cars lose a lot more energy when in gear than others. I wonder if DFCO can out perform engine on coasting in certain long geared vehicles.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:56 AM   #17 (permalink)
The PRC.

Depends on the slope and coast. Coasting uphill (P&G) or on the flat then I slip out of gear and the SG2 shows 0.12 GPH and 300-500 MPG depending on speed.

On a slight downhill I can go into 5th or 6th and coast in gear - the gear chosen is low enough so that engine speed is above idle, so the car is 'turning' the engine and not the other way round. The fuel used drops to 0 GPH and 9999 MPH, and the loss of speed isn't that bad - enough to finish the slope.

On a steeper slope then in gear drops consumption to 0 GPH and MPG to 9999.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:26 AM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc7ekk View Post
"Coasting in gear", refers to letting off the gas but leaving the clutch in the gear it was in. Preferably a high gear so the RPM of the dead weight of the engine doesn't slow you down too much.
The MPG while doing so will be better than with the gearbox in neutral, as the fuel flow is cut off (DFCO).
But the downside is you won't get nearly as far.

Coasting in neutral and with the engine on is what lowered my fuel use considerably over DFCO.
I still underestimate just how far it'll roll

My car is a diesel, does DFCO right down to 1000 rpm, and the engine braking is considerable.
I've always made good use of the DFCO feature - well, before joining ecomodder that was - but it never consistently returned the kind of MPG I'm seeing now.

If you use MPG for recording, it'll bias towards DFCO, as you get towards infinite MPG (division by 0).
This can upset the readings you've taken.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:06 AM   #19 (permalink)
Coasting Down the Peak

Toyauto Pickup - '94 Toyota Pickup 2WD
90 day: 36.32 mpg (US)

Versa Base - '09 Versa Sedan 1.6 Base
Team Nissan
90 day: 41.69 mpg (US)
The real issue here is that coasting in gear (engine braking) is far more efficient than braking in neutral.

If you are truly coasting without the need to brake either at the moment or in the near future, coast in neutral. If you see a braking situation ahead, coast in gear.
appuchan (06-14-2011)
Old 04-30-2011, 04:05 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

While in DFCO I have it setup to automatically turn on the EGR valve and try to equalize the pressure between the intake and exhaust manifolds. This increased the distance I can coast in gear with injectors OFF.

The Following User Says Thank You to tjts1 For This Useful Post:
justjohn (04-30-2011)
Reply  Post New Thread