View Single Post
Old 05-01-2011, 05:55 PM   #13 (permalink)
EVDRVR
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange4boy View Post
They reduce drag a bit depending on your windshield angle but they can reduce wind noise a lot. You probably can't measure the difference in drag with mpg's but the wind noise reduction can be nice. If you are driving on those lovely interstates paved with fist size rocks you won't notice either.
I have a 73 Dodge van and I pulled the park wire off the wiper motor about 35 years ago so I could stop the movement anywhere I wanted. Haven't a clue as to how you do it on these "newer" units.

My initial reason for doing it was simply to be able to easily park the wipers at about a 45-60 degree angle to hold a "frost shield". Later I started parking them verticially on road trips and it seemed to make a difference in some conditions in regards to wind noise and perhaps some mpg improvement but would not be able to verify that. Windshield really blows clear in the rain when this is combined with rain-x.

But not nearly as much wind noise reduction or mpg improvement as adjusting the big stock mirrors to a horizontal position (this is a very noticeable improvement and almost like a mirror delete by comparison to the stock speed brake mirrors.) I had small rectangular convex mirrors attached to the lower edge of the big mirrors and they were more than adequate when out on the highway.

Lost the sweet little convex mirrors recently and haven't found replacements.