View Single Post
Old 05-01-2011, 06:44 PM   #17 (permalink)
euromodder
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo126 View Post
like with many things on cars, the optimal tire pressure is what the factory writes on the inside of the b-pillar near the drivers seat.
No, it is not optimal.
Then again, neither is running sidewall max on my car/tyre combination, as the ride is fairly harsh on an unloaden car.

Having increased the pressure gradually, I'd say 3bar / 43.5 psi is the optimum instead of 2.3bar / 33.5psi on my car.
It retains most of the comfort, yet returns good mileage.

Chances are good you'll get to see increases in the recommended pressures over the coming years as fuel efficiency becomes a more pressing need.
It's an easy win.

Quote:
its posted at that number because psi fluctuates and the rec. pressure is the middle ground for that.
Actually, the (cold) pressure rating takes into account that the tyre will heat up during use.
Hypermiling, your tyres won't heat up much.

Quote:
youre not saving enough money from overinflating ur rubbers to offset the medical expenses when they blow out and you hit another car.
Using rated max is not overinflating the tyres.
Tyres seldom blow out because of too high pressure.

Typically, they blow out at low pressure as soft tyres heat up a lot more than when properly or higher inflated; sidewall deformations are far bigger @ low pressure, and can lead to structural failure of the tyre's core.

Quote:
i draw the line at risking my life and others around me
Same here.