View Single Post
Old 05-04-2011, 07:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacationtime247 View Post
Since you are also part of the 'to many projects, not enough time' group. A few questions.
1. Do you work on the same project until finished, or jump from one to the next?
2. Having a lot of projects usually means having to many cars, bikes, engines, etc. Do you find yourself hoarding parts? Things you may never use again, but it's to good to recycle?
3. Are your projects and garage organized or scattered?
4. Do you ever feel overwhelmed by the amount of things needing fixed? Or are the projects something you look forward to working on?
5. Once you complete a project do you look to get another shortly after completion? Or drive and use the completed project for a while before moving on to the next?
VT247
1. My projects are personally therapeutic. I normally work on one, each, or all of them, as time/money/interest permits. Generally, I'll do small things to completion (kitchen sink swap), but complex things take more time, and unless they have a deadline, are done as the mood arises (when the moon aligns with the nexus of earth, and so on...)

2. I do hoard parts and related items for projects I want to work on, want to start, or just generally have interest in. However, other than theitems which are absolutely critical, I've no trouble unloading stuff on anyone who also might use/need it. Sometimes, I but great deals specifically for that purpose, such as the 8 hanging lamps I just bought from Lowe's... $50 retail, I'd take $15 each and still make a profit.

3. I'm not lucky enough to own a garage yet, and sure to the need for more space, the camper I store stuff in is a bit disorganized at the moment, while I remove partitions and cabinetry/appliances (also for sale). I store copious quantities of project material in my father's barn, though, and most of my projects are in the same place, so fairly organized.

4. It really depends on the project. My house (12x60 MH) bugs me because I see so much wrong, and get disgusted quickly. My personal projects are therapeutic, however, and when I gain interest in working on the house, that also can be. Except in emergency cases, I don't work on things until I want to, which is party of the reason I have so many things to work on. I may want to work on something I don't currently have, so I get it.

5. I always pick up projects as I find them, without regard to the others... So when I complete one, it normally gets used for it's originally intended purpose, be that keeping for personal enjoyment, selling for profit, etc, but I'm always working on _something_.

Hopefully that gave you some of the answers that you and others were looking for.