Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2011, 12:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Toylet - '87 Toyota Supra 350 Chevy V8 / 700R4

In-Durrrr-Oh - '09 TMEC Enduro TMEC 200cc Enduro
90 day: 60.9 mpg (US)

Tem-poo - '86 Ford Tempo GL 4 Door 2.0 Liter Diesel 5 Speed
90 day: 47.52 mpg (US)

Ass Tick - '01 Pontiac Pontiac Aztek GT 5 Door

Green Baby Poop Stain - '01 Pontiac Aztek Aztek Base Model

Black Track - '01 Pontiac Aztek GT
Admin note: copied this post from this thread, since I figured there are lots of members who will get a kick out of it: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...n-12623-3.html

------------

Wow, this sounds familiar. Fix one thing, two more break. Repeat until the entire car has had a ground up restoration. Sounds like you've come a long way since beginning.

Since you are also part of the 'to many projects, not enough time' group. A few questions.

1. Do you work on the same project until finished, or jump from one to the next?

2. Having a lot of projects usually means having to many cars, bikes, engines, etc. Do you find yourself hoarding parts? Things you may never use again, but it's to good to recycle?

3. Are your projects and garage organized or scattered?

4. Do you ever feel overwhelmed by the amount of things needing fixed? Or are the projects something you look forward to working on?

5. Once you complete a project do you look to get another shortly after completion? Or drive and use the completed project for a while before moving on to the next?

VT247

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-04-2011, 07:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacationtime247 View Post
Since you are also part of the 'to many projects, not enough time' group. A few questions.
1. Do you work on the same project until finished, or jump from one to the next?
2. Having a lot of projects usually means having to many cars, bikes, engines, etc. Do you find yourself hoarding parts? Things you may never use again, but it's to good to recycle?
4. Do you ever feel overwhelmed by the amount of things needing fixed? Or are the projects something you look forward to working on?
5. Once you complete a project do you look to get another shortly after completion? Or drive and use the completed project for a while before moving on to the next?
VT247
1. My projects are personally therapeutic. I normally work on one, each, or all of them, as time/money/interest permits. Generally, I'll do small things to completion (kitchen sink swap), but complex things take more time, and unless they have a deadline, are done as the mood arises (when the moon aligns with the nexus of earth, and so on...)

2. I do hoard parts and related items for projects I want to work on, want to start, or just generally have interest in. However, other than theitems which are absolutely critical, I've no trouble unloading stuff on anyone who also might use/need it. Sometimes, I but great deals specifically for that purpose, such as the 8 hanging lamps I just bought from Lowe's... $50 retail, I'd take $15 each and still make a profit.

3. I'm not lucky enough to own a garage yet, and sure to the need for more space, the camper I store stuff in is a bit disorganized at the moment, while I remove partitions and cabinetry/appliances (also for sale). I store copious quantities of project material in my father's barn, though, and most of my projects are in the same place, so fairly organized.

4. It really depends on the project. My house (12x60 MH) bugs me because I see so much wrong, and get disgusted quickly. My personal projects are therapeutic, however, and when I gain interest in working on the house, that also can be. Except in emergency cases, I don't work on things until I want to, which is party of the reason I have so many things to work on. I may want to work on something I don't currently have, so I get it.

5. I always pick up projects as I find them, without regard to the others... So when I complete one, it normally gets used for it's originally intended purpose, be that keeping for personal enjoyment, selling for profit, etc, but I'm always working on _something_.

Hopefully that gave you some of the answers that you and others were looking for.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Quote:

Jump! Jump! Jump! Jump...

Quote:
Hoarding instinct present and accounted for, sir!

You forgot to mention bicycles & boats though. (I'm an equal opportunity acquirer of transportation items.)

But I make a genuine effort to keep it in check, and so far it has applied only to bicycles.

Mostly because the rule is: if I can't store it inside the garage, I can't have it. Bikes are a little easier to find a spot for

Quote:
Both, at varying times. But mostly scattered lately. Messy garage is the sign of a creative mind, or something. Or a lack of discipline. Or something.

Quote:
All of the above.
Quote:
What is this "completed project" of which you speak?
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:
Christ (05-04-2011)
Old 05-04-2011, 08:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
The PRC.

Jump, but also with an eye to how many I've unfinished that Mrs A remembers...

Again until Mrs A goes looking for something, then I have to have a clearout.

One location (home). Many hiding places. Its amazing how small (or indeed large) something can become when disassembled.

I hardly ever get to work on them, then I make a to do list. Which is the same to do list as last time as I never got past that part before running out of time.

I'm good at lists though, I get the lists made right through to the end.

I'll let you know when that happens.
Christ (05-04-2011)
Old 05-04-2011, 08:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Oh, this is going to be fun. Arragonis: I laughed. Loved the list comments!

I swore off lists about a year ago after I LOST (gasp) my big to-do list. (My initial reaction was followed immediately by an unexpected sense of relief & freedom! ) Now I operate on the idea that things will get done when they get done and leave it at that. (My clients may be less likely to share enthusiasm for my new philosophy, but so far, so good.)
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:
Christ (05-04-2011)
Old 05-04-2011, 09:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
First off, you can NEVER have too many projects, but the time thing is an issue as well as money.

Quote:
I usually work on a few at the same time. If I'm waiting on parts or something for one I'll work on the other. I also like having a choice of working on what I want. If its electronics one day it might be mechanical stuff the next.

Quote:
Of course! Better to have sitting around than have to buy. It also helps to know others that are the same way. You can share parts and your storage space grows.

Quote:
Usually scattered, but in an organized way where I know where stuff is.

Quote:
Very rarely do I feel overwhelmed. I normally look forward to working on the projects. The stuff that NEEDS to get done always gets worked on first, and thankfully they usually don't pile up.

Quote:
I usually start the next project while working on the current one.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
I swore off lists about a year ago after I LOST (gasp) my big to-do list. (My initial reaction was followed immediately by an unexpected sense of relief & freedom! ) Now I operate on the idea that things will get done when they get done and leave it at that. (My clients may be less likely to share enthusiasm for my new philosophy, but so far, so good.)
I have a similar policy for the 2-3K of work emails I come back to whenever I take a day off which is pragmatic and at the same time easing the pressure.

I delete them all.

I calculate that

i) people knew I was on holiday, they got a message saying that

ii) if it was very urgent they called someone in the office and got it sorted

iii) and if it is still important/urgent they will come back to me - after all the message did say when I would be back.

Of course the ones marked 'Boss' have to be handled differently, but luckily for me they seem to be allergic to email usage anyway.
Christ (05-04-2011)
Old 05-04-2011, 10:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Chief - '06 Pontiac Grand Prix
90 day: 26.7 mpg (US)

SF1 - '12 Ford Fiesta S
90 day: 30.95 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
What is this "completed project" of which you speak?
I knew some once, who knew some one that "completed a project". Didn't even run out of time or money.
The Following User Says Thank You to nemo For This Useful Post:
Christ (05-04-2011)
Old 05-04-2011, 10:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
I have heard of that guy...

Old 05-04-2011, 11:56 AM   #10 (permalink)
one of thOOOse people

twitchy - '98 honda civic dx + sir + ls
90 day: 30.2 mpg (US)

Norman - '14 Ford E-350 EXT
90 day: 16.18 mpg (US)

Silver - '12 VW Golf Base
90 day: 26.1 mpg (US)

Sparta - '19 Honda CB300R
90 day: 84.07 mpg (US)
lists

I know someone who routinely makes lists of her "to do lists".

Reply  Post New Thread