View Single Post
Old 05-05-2008, 10:56 PM   #34 (permalink)
trebuchet03
MechE

The Miata - '01 Mazda MX-5 Miata
[QUOTE=Frankenstipe;23610]So which is the least Evil of the companies then?
[QUOTE]

It's in the article, under "Top of the barrel"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstipe View Post
I just checked BP's site and I guess Arco and AmPm use their gas which I did not know because I always heard Arco had really crappy gas. I've been using Chevron since the beginning of the year, I used Shell before that for a few months. I haven't noticed a difference but that doesn't mean there isn't one.

What do most of you think is the best quality from the least Evil company?

Also what exactly is the difference between the brands of gas?
The difference between the gas itself? Nothing... There are quite a few gasoline distribution points (where tanker trucks are filled) - but only a few are actually brand owned and dedicated. The difference is in the additive packages/detergents added to the tanker during fill up. But, even buying "crap" gas is safe - you're not going to destroy an engine in short order as was during the gas crunch -- the EPA has minimum detergent requirements that won't allow this to happen.

If you're worried you're not getting enough cleaning agents in your fuel... add them every 6 months, buy a bottle of whatever additive you want (I think shell even sell their own v-power stuff as does chevron with their techron chemicals)... It'll be just as effective and much cheaper.

That said - NO additive gives better mileage than another. This is why we don't see any station advertising that their gas increases fuel economy. They may say a clean engine gets better economy - but you can't get cleaner than clean, it's not the additive increasing efficiency Imagine the killing that one brand would make if they could say "increases fuel economy by 10%."

I mentioned it before... But I buy from Murphy oil at the same pump... It's the cheapest (or second cheapest) around, it's nearby and I've yet to have had any troubles

If your engine has predictable trouble between brands of gas... I'd probably sell the car... It's a terrible thing for an engineer to design something that won't work in all tolerance configurations despite things being in spec.