View Single Post
Old 05-06-2008, 04:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Arminius
Future EV Owner

Wannabe - '05 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 40.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by capn View Post
Hey all,

My name is Barrett and I am a Mechanical Engineering student. I drive a 1994 Cadillac Eldorado, not the greatest car to present myself with the "eco" forums but hey whatever.

So at this point in my life I am not in the position to buy a new car, or a used one in a timely manner. yet I plan to purchase a Volt once I graduate from college and they are on sale, coincidentally at about the same time.

But in the mean time I plan to increase my Cadillac's highway fuel mileage by at least 10% but shooting for 25%. So any suggestions where to get started?
The biggest thing you can do is change your driving habits. See here: hypermiling tips
Following those guidelines will easily get you over the EPA's numbers by 25%, especially if you drive between 40-45 mph (being that you have an automatic transmission).

Of course, any mods you can do will help, including removing anything from the outside that detracts from the streamlining of your car, adding anything that enhances the streamlining of your car, and removing any weight from your car that you can live without. You'll need to read the threads for details on those issues.

Can't wait to see the Volts on the showroom floors. We'll mod those too!