View Single Post
Old 05-11-2011, 01:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Thanks PaleMelanesian for the notice. This site is a valuable accretion of a lot of really useful knowledge. I've learned from it. Very cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_sol View Post
Nice!

Does your new route have very little traffic lights that allow you to P&G at lower speeds? I've tried taking local streets to avoid the hills on my freeways, however, the streets are plagued with street lights at every corner and each light is magnetically activated so it's difficult to "time" them to keep a slow and steady pace.
I hear you jedisol. In my area of southern Orange County CA, we have lots of hills but we also have long distances between lights. I climb a hill getting 30-something mpg and slide down the other side, at or near speed limits, with the engine off for a quarter or half a mile at a time--getting infinite mpg. The average is excellent.

I do have one worry, though: I bump start quite carefully, but sometimes the restart seems like more of a jolt than other times. It's mild but you notice it. I wonder about the clutch and transmission.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.