View Single Post
Old 05-06-2008, 09:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Finally Fixed!!!

This has been a real GRRR project. But it is finally fixed.

I went and got a replacement turn switch at a salvage yard. Got it home before I realized the connectors were right, but which color went where was wrong.

Tried it anyways. Squirters go when your turn the wipers on, and don't stop...
Had to return that one, then wait to see if they had a different correct one. Nope, they didn't...thanks for making me drive out there.....again.

Went to another salvage yard. They wouldn't sell me a turn switch, but would sell an entire steering column. This one was from an automatic with the gear selector on the column and cruise control. The wire harness connectors are right, and the colors of the wires are in the right order too.

Took apart the column, pulled the turn signal, installed it in the truck, reinstalled my steering wheel, reinstalled my airbag.

Dear God! It works!

For the first time since I bought the truck (back in January) I have a working radio, working turn signals, and legal plates all at the same time!!!

In the end, I paid the same amount for the steering column (and an electric lawn mower I found at the salvage yard!) as I would have for just a new turn signal switch ordered in at the auto parts store.

Who knew the hazard button was the most complicated thing in the steering column!?!!??

If anyone needs a steering column, tilt steering wheel, airbag, or ingnition and key for a Chevy S10 - let me know! I have them!

Same price as just the cost of the blinker switch

New Switch installed. Note that it has cruise control on it. Does this give my truck cruise control? No. It does not.

I think it was less work to remove the Geo Metro engine than it was to replace the switch on this thing.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos