View Single Post
Old 05-11-2011, 11:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_sol View Post
Hey! Southern OC, kinda my neck of the woods. I'm around Tustin/Irvine area. My daily commute is the 5 freeway between the 55 and sand canyon/5.
I know that route pretty well, having lived in Santa Ana previously. The 55/5/405 was my test loop for my WAI test last month.

Quote:
Southbound is a very slight uphill grade, so my mpg is good, but not great. However, going Northbound, depending on traffic, I can get home in only 2-3 pulses while EOCing the whole time.
I have similar scenario, in reverse. The elevation above sea level increases from home to work. My big milage gains are coming home.

Quote:
Bumpstarting, perhaps you are popping the clutch too slowly? Make sure you are in 5th gear. For me, popping the clutch quickly hardly creates any jolt whatsoever.
I have been using 5th, 4th, and even 3rd at times--depending on speed. On the way home tonight I took this advice and used 5 exclusively. I think it is better.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.