View Single Post
Old 05-13-2011, 02:49 AM   #12 (permalink)
Dust
EcoModding Apprentice

The Move - '99 Daihatsu Move Aero Down Custom XX
90 day: 29.89 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to Dust
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnClark View Post
water injection before the turbo will cause erosion of the impeller. Think about the bits of metal will do to your engine. I'd also suggest you read this before considering a warm air intake on a turbo'd vehicle Compressor Efficiency and More
Pre-compressor injection can cause erosion. Seen the image. If I remember correctly the owner was also lacking an air filter on a dirt road. Saab did this and realized that the turbo would only last 100K miles. Most turbos only last about 100K miles. http://saabworld.net/f70/turbo-s-wat...ept-88-a-1341/
That was in the 80's using a washer fluid pump. At 150 psi an M1 nozzle will get about a 20 micron mist. The air filter I am using right now can't average that. Like removing your windshield because the blower motor went out. Add that pre-turbo injection can move the compressor map right, increasing efficiency. I have been using it for about 15K KMs, with no noticeable erosion.

If I don't like the hot air, there is a nice plastic panel that can be removed and then the filter would have a direct feed from the grill. Can't get much cooler than that. Or I can just loosen the worm clamp and slide the regular hose back on. Might have to take the grill off though. Some screen mesh to replace the panel and no worries about debris.

Last edited by Dust; 05-13-2011 at 02:58 AM..