View Single Post
Old 05-13-2011, 05:05 PM   #14 (permalink)
ConnClark
DieselMiser

Das Schlepper Frog - '85 Mercedes Benz 300SD
90 day: 23.23 mpg (US)

Gentoo320 - '04 Mercedes C320 4Matic
90 day: 22.44 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust View Post
Pre-compressor injection can cause erosion. Seen the image. If I remember correctly the owner was also lacking an air filter on a dirt road. Saab did this and realized that the turbo would only last 100K miles. Most turbos only last about 100K miles. Turbo "S" - Water Injection installation instructions - Sept '88
That was in the 80's using a washer fluid pump. At 150 psi an M1 nozzle will get about a 20 micron mist. The air filter I am using right now can't average that. Like removing your windshield because the blower motor went out. Add that pre-turbo injection can move the compressor map right, increasing efficiency. I have been using it for about 15K KMs, with no noticeable erosion.
Here is the original post of the picture. He had the nozzle 12" away. It was after 1 year of use and had never been run without an OEM airfilter.

Compressor after 1 year of precompressor injection. - waterinjection.info

My turbo lasted over 200K miles before I replaced it and that was on a diesel where it was operating under boost most of the time.

I always wondered why you don't see many saabs on the road these days.

I have no doubt pre compressor water injection works. It is just that a turbo is an expensive component and eventually your going to erode the blades to where it off sets any gains. If you have money to buy turbos that is fine.

Quote:

If I don't like the hot air, there is a nice plastic panel that can be removed and then the filter would have a direct feed from the grill. Can't get much cooler than that. Or I can just loosen the worm clamp and slide the regular hose back on. Might have to take the grill off though. Some screen mesh to replace the panel and no worries about debris.
The point about the warm air intake and a turbo is that it drops the efficiency of the compressor. For the 2.0 liter engine case in the article an increase from 77 degrees F to 122 degrees F increased the load on the engine by 11.9 HP or about 8% of the engines power.