View Single Post
Old 05-13-2011, 10:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
JohnS
MIT (Modder In Training)

FuguMobile - '01 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 24.89 mpg (US)
Minimum speed for aero advantages

Hi guys,

I've been trying to take in as much as I can from this forum over the last couple of months, but there's just so much great information that it's hard to remember everything and make sense of it all at times. I apologize in advance if this question has been asked before, but I can't seem to find an answer to it doing a few different searches:

What is the minimum speed at which aerodynamics become a factor in helping to increase MPG?

On my daily commute (Northern NJ) of approx. 10 miles, only about 3 of those miles are 55/65MPH highway driving. I drive ~55 on the 65 stretch and ~50 on the 55 stretch. But off the highway, I still have quite a bit of 35-45MPH roads with rolling hills, gentle slopes, etc. that I'm E(on)C in neutral with an automatic. Will doing basic aeromods to the FuguMobile help on those 35-45MPH coasts? I realize that the *amount* of help the mods give at that speed would be less than on the highway. But would they still help to some degree?

Guess what I'm asking is: is there a minimum speed which, if you are below it, the aero stuff just doesn't make a difference at all?

Thanks for any advice, answers for the new guy!

John