View Single Post
Old 05-14-2011, 11:36 AM   #12 (permalink)
07aveoSVM
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks guys, sounds like it's not worth it. If it will only give me 3 or 4 hours and will take just as long to charge, it will be too much hassle. Maybe I'll just start with the power steering and see how that goes.

I'm confused about a few things. I'm getting the impression that underdrive pulley's either hurt your mileage (by bending the belt) or do not make any noticeable improvement. I thought underdrive pulleys were promoted to improve both horsepower and efficiency? I thought the smaller, lighter pulley was supposed to have less angular mass and therefore use less energy to rotate. At the same time, it is supposed to give the crankshaft more leverage over the other belt components which should reduce the resistance seen by the engine. Is this not true?

Also, I don't understand why I won't save anything by running the belt only part time. I thought that the alternator always put drag on the engine even when the battery was fully charged. I figured that by running the alternator only when the battery needed charging, I wouldn't be wasting that drag the rest of the time.

What are suspenders?