View Single Post
Old 12-16-2007, 01:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
MetroMPG
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
DifferentPointofView quote

DifferentPointofView said:

Quote:
Actually, A magazine did a test on after market filters, from brands like AEM, K&N, and other name brands I can't think of. As far as filtration goes K&N Finished on top of the filtration part, and I know that on their boxes it provides an Air Flow Comparison Chart in CFM on Average Disposable Aftermarket paper Air Filter vs. an oiled Cotton Gauze K&N filter in both typical Round and Panel Type Filters. Also, If you go onto www.knfilters.com you can view a complete test protocol with results on a particular vehicle and what was observed.

A typical round filter was tested, and filtered out 548 CFM, and a K&N did 881 CFM. A Panel Did 319 CFM while the K&N Panel Did 441 CFM.

Now I This is just filtration data, As for MPG I dont know, but some tests would have to be had to get accurate data.

I really didn't buy a K&N filter for the MPG part, It was more for the 10 Year 1,000,000 mile warranty and how I didn't have to keep buying new filters all the time, Minimizing landfill. And All I have to do is use their cleaner to get out the gunk, and rinse it out, then re-oil. I like the landfill Idea most probably. And I save money cause the re-oiling stuff costs less than a new OEM ZJ Filter. And It will hopefully outlast the car itself.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget