View Single Post
Old 05-16-2011, 01:03 PM   #4743 (permalink)
DJBecker
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlequin2 View Post
No, its inductive ie two coils on a bobbin with a bit of ferrite. Normally one coil goes in each ac leg. It is actually a transformer with a 1:1 turns ratio with a very high voltage isolation capability.
Ahhh, that's much different.

The corrected URL works, so I now see the part. I don't see an isolation rating or break-down voltage (it's not a primary parameter for the intended use), but it's likely good enough.

That's a smart way to get a transformer. Unlike most other common parts, transformers and larger inductors are frequently custom made. The few stocked parts are expensive and may not be available the next purchase. That's a minor problem when you want to build a prototype. It's much bigger problem when you want to design something that other people can build one copy of.

One of the appeals of the LNK306 chip I mentioned earlier is that it uses only a simple standard inductor for a non-isolated supply. Most other power conversion products have reference designs that use custom designed transformers with sense taps or specific transfer characteristics. Again "non-isolated", so it's getting its power from the traction voltage -- it's not solving the same problem.